Welcome, Guest!
Please Login or Register.

Author Topic: Cool!  (Read 2460 times)

Sooner

• View Profile
Cool!
« on: November 19, 2019, 02:58:05 AM »
We can attach images and don't have to host them externally.  :)
Sooner AD1512 Serial No. 001

"Paranoia strikes deep. Into your life it will creep." - Neil Young

Orange

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Cool!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2019, 09:53:42 AM »
Hate to ruin a potential party - but, at some point the hosting space I pay for will fill up - once too many photos are posted.     So, not so sure how sustainable it is for me to host every users' photos.  For now I'll leave this on.

Sooner

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 10:04:01 AM »
Well hopefully some clown doesn't waste all the space posting photos of Katy Perry or beer...  ::)

Do you know how much space is available?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 09:51:42 PM by Sooner »

Orange

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 11:01:23 AM »
Not sure - but I'll check when I have time.   I suspect running this forum could turn into quite the learning experience for me.   I've already experienced over 2700 bots registering with this forum before a real human actually joined.   

Sooner

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 03:01:29 PM »
I've already experienced over 2700 bots registering with this forum before a real human actually joined.
Hopefully some more real humans will be joining now that  the official forum shutting down. There are some really good guys in that forum.

Orange

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 03:04:07 PM »
That certainly is my hope.   

Orange

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2019, 08:41:54 AM »
So, I noticed your OR-AD15-12 amplifier's serial number is 001.  What's the backstory?

Sooner

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2019, 10:36:54 AM »
I was living in London at the time and went to Rhodes Music on Denmark Street looking to buy a Vox AC15. Theye didn't have one in stock but mentioned that Orange was coming out with a new 15 watt amp that I might be interested in. They were expecting the first shipment to arrive any day and they would have some very low serial numbers. That sounded good to me.

I called every day for a week or so and every time the answer was "Any day now". I forgot about it for several weeks and when I finally called again they had just arrived the day before. They also mentioned serial 001 was available.  I left work immediately,  played it for about 5 minutes, and bought it.

That was in November of '98. About a year later, before returning to Houston, I went back to Rhodes looking to buy some spare tubes and a converter so I could run it on 110 instead of 220 volts. The sales guy called their technician who came up from the basement to help. He explained how to simply re-wire the power transformer to convert from 220 to 110. He also explained how I could modify the amp to make it more gnarly by adding/changing a couple of capacitors. I later learned that Orange owned Rhodes music at the time and the technician was Adrian Emsley, the guy who designs all of Orange's new tube amps.

I joined the official Orange Forum in 2002 hoping to learn more about serial numbers. I had noticed that mine was screen printed while the others I had seen were hand written. The forum admin at the time was Jason Green, the president of Orange USA. Here's what he had to say about it: 
"The funny thing is I remember that exact amplifier from my days of working at Rhodes Music in Denmark St, London! The Orange guys brought it in to show us the new designs. I believe it came from a "pre-production" run of about 10 pieces. There were also about 10 AD30H's. Each model type was numbered from 001 upwards.
What makes it even crazier is the fact that the AD15 #001 was never meant to be sold! It was the first AD series amplifier ever to be made and also the first amplifier built by the new Orange company. The management wanted to keep it, but it accidentally got sold... To you! So I guess you should definitely hang on to it."

https://forum.orangeamps.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1266&p=6617#p6617

Les Paul Lover

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 02:26:14 PM »
Not sure - but I'll check when I have time.   I suspect running this forum could turn into quite the learning experience for me.   I've already experienced over 2700 bots registering with this forum before a real human actually joined.

Sugar! That's a lot! You might want to ask Billy @ Orange forum how he dealt with them.....  ;D
Orange AD5, AD15, R30, RV50 MKI  & PPC212

Some guitars.
Some pedals.
Sometimes, I even play them.

Les Paul Lover

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2019, 02:33:23 PM »
Well hopefully some clown doesn't waste all the space posting photos of Katy Perry or beer...  ::)

Do you know how much space is available?

Nothing wrong with Katy Perry!!!

[imghttp://[/img]
Orange AD5, AD15, R30, RV50 MKI  & PPC212

Some guitars.
Some pedals.
Sometimes, I even play them.

Sooner

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2019, 04:10:51 PM »

Nothing wrong with Katy Perry!!!

Haha... At least you didn't waste the forum's memory by posting that!

Seriously though, have you noticed that recently almost all photos linked to Photobucket are blurred out now?  I assume a user has to pay now to prevent that.  Makes a lot of the threads on the old forum useless.   

BillyClaire

• View Profile
    • Billy Claire
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2019, 07:55:10 AM »

Sugar! That's a lot! You might want to ask Billy @ Orange forum how he dealt with them.....  ;D

Every morning over breakfast I would check the forum and delete accounts. Sometimes one or two, sometimes six or more... sometimes with posts, other times without...

Orange

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2019, 09:52:03 AM »
Bots will eventually learn the security questions and break through.   Advanced version of Captcha seem popular - but at some point all the security will prevent actual humans from getting in.   Bots and robocallers are the reason no one can reach me on the phone these days. D= 

Login