Welcome, Guest!
Please Login or Register.

Author Topic: Just Pulling Things Together  (Read 1252 times)

restlessnative

• View Profile
Just Pulling Things Together
« on: April 11, 2020, 02:08:07 AM »
Hi folks, sorry but this post will be a biggie.  I have the CR120H & PPC212OB cab, mostly thanks to Dave Simpson on YouTube and his amazing “How Many Tones...” series of videos.  I have three questions for y’all if you don’t mind?

1.  This amp is amazing, it can do so many things and defies the Orange stereotypical loud RAWK image (personally I’ve never held that, just never knew where they fit in the pantheon - maybe somewhere between the best of Fender and Marshall combined with their own twist in the mix?); however, Orange’s own blurb said the PPC212OB is known for its “chime”. This is my aim/goal - to have a loud, clean and/or edge-of-breakup Voxy chime. Has anyone else managed it and how, with this setup?  I assume the Tremlord would do it better, but I don’t have one yet.

2.  What settings do you guys use for specific tones/sounds?

3.  As this is the first head/cab I’ve had I’m not sure I set it up correctly: I believe the CAB IS 16ohms, but doesn’t say so on it. The two jacks on the back for connecting to the head only have the word “mono” between them and the serial number above. However, even more confusingly, on the back of the head the two jacks for connecting to the cab aren’t individually labelled a stereo/mono but have “1x8ohms or 1x16ohms or 2x8ohms” below them. I assume the left jack is for “1x8ohms or 1x16ohms mono” and both jacks together are for “2x8ohms stereo”, with the left jack on the cab being mono and both for stereo? Also does mono mean one cable between the two left hand jack sockets has both speakers “on” as they are wired in series or is one speaker on only? Should the CR120H and PPC212OB have x2 cables between head and cab, or x1 between the left jacks as I have atm? I ask that as I don’t think the CR120H his as loud as people say, as the BB15 competes at 15W, and the L6 Spider Jam does too at 75W - confusing, although CR120H sounds best by far.

(always have used combos - I now only have a Fender Bassbreaker 15 combo, Tanglewood T6 Acoustic Cube combo, and awaiting a Positive Grid Spark delivery hopefully this month; oh, and a Line6 Spider Jam I got free with a secondhand guitar I bought for sale)

Strat58

• View Profile
Re: Just Pulling Things Together
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2020, 01:54:48 PM »
Restlessnative,

If you go to the Orange Site....orangeamps.com.
and go to Support and then to Manuals...
It gives a good idea what can be done with the 1-16 ohm and the
two 8-ohm taps.
the amp isn't Stereo.

Terry

Login