Welcome, Guest!
Please Login or Register.

Author Topic: Dream Guitar. Easier than I thought!  (Read 793 times)

Boy_Narf

• View Profile
Dream Guitar. Easier than I thought!
« on: January 24, 2020, 03:08:51 PM »
Hello everyone!

I love single pickup guitars and have had the Esquire at the top of my list for years. I decided to stop weeping over ridiculous prices and made it happen.

$30 for a new pickguard, and $40 for a custom titanium plate (shout out to RockRabbit Guitars for the amazing customer service), 30 minutes with a tech, and here we have it. I bought this guitar new in 2011 right before Fender lost their mind on pricing. The final mod will be a set of Highwood saddles eta next week. I am very pleased.

Tone wise, ditching the GB tone circuit and switch seems to have thickened things up in the low mid area to the point where I now have to cut the bass on my amp to compensate. There is a "wooliness" that didn't exist before. COOL!

~RemainJoyful.

TT | TTC | R30 | R30C | PPC212V

PedalTrain2 | Zuma

GLXD16 | Decimate | FlashBackMini | ST1 | TimeLine | BlueSky | RangIII | DMC3XL | EX-50

www.scratchbuffalo.com
www.soundcloud.com/modestnews

BillyClaire

• View Profile
    • Billy Claire
Re: Dream Guitar. Easier than I thought!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2020, 05:58:49 AM »
That looks really slick! Nice job!

wendigo

• View Profile
    • Guitar Lessons with Jim Merriam
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 03:24:42 PM »
Wow, man just wow. Nice damn paint...is it metallic? it looks like metallic with a dark undercoat in the picture. Super nice guitar.

caldurham

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 10:55:53 AM »
i like single pickup guitars as well. i have 2 with a single pup without vol or tone controls. always nice to make a guitar yours in the end. the red looks really good.

Boy_Narf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 03:18:08 PM »
It's candy cola. Wicked paint. My top pick of course is candy tangerine (same idea but matching our amps heh), but it only seems available on custom shop stuff.

PedalTrain2 | Zuma

GLXD16 | Decimate | FlashBackMini | ST1 | TimeLine | BlueSky | RangIII | DMC3XL | EX-50

www.scratchbuffalo.com

Boy_Narf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 03:05:58 PM »
Well just got the new saddles installed as well as an old textone pickup I had in the parts bin. I tried the pickup a few years back but it was very muddy. A 500k pot fixed things right up! This is a "hybrid P90" according to the box. I will say it has lost some twang and snap, but it's thicker sounding and has more clarity with chords. The whole guitar sounds more "hi-fi/sterile" but not in a bad way. Much more balanced almost like there is a compressor on each string keeping things in check. I'm not sure if the changes are more related to the pickup, or the saddles, but either way I'm quite joyful with the update.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 03:17:48 PM by Boy_Narf »

PedalTrain2 | Zuma

www.scratchbuffalo.com

Hubaxe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 11:22:15 PM »
It's an experimentation guitar.  Many people don't know that changing the value of pots change the overall bite of a pickup. Godd you mention this.

Login