Welcome, Guest!
Please Login or Register.

Author Topic: Other Hobbies?  (Read 1404 times)

Sooner

• View Profile
Other Hobbies?
« on: November 24, 2019, 09:52:46 AM »
What are your hobbies other than guitars?  I've been  restoring antique and vintage stuff for the last 45 years. Telephones, radios, coin op, etc.  Lately I've been restoring and modifying old jukebox remote units using an MP3 emulator to convert them into self contained jukeboxes.   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUIgmHH7_u8&t=3s
Sooner AD1512 Serial No. 001

"Paranoia strikes deep. Into your life it will creep." - Neil Young

Orange

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Other Hobbies?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 10:25:54 AM »
Aside from the movie Pulp Fiction - that video reminded me of when I worked for a vending company when I was a teenager - fixing video games, jukeboxes, pinballs, cigarette machines and etc.   That was the coolest job - I nearly always had a truck that I brought home with me - pretty much I could joy ride in the truck with my friends (you're always on call) - AND the GAS was free!.   I was livin' the life! 

Hobbies - outside of guitar/music  -  hmmm...  it may have morphed to drinking and talking baby talk to the cats.   =/

Les Paul Lover

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 03:31:26 AM »
My hobbies really revolve around the guitar in the main, but there's a life theme to it.

I like to do things myself.
I started doing my own pedals, and have built 5 or 6 clones / pedals to date, some modded, some not.

When my AD15 valve heater circuit failed, I fixed it myself.

So..... DIY.....We're in our 2nd home and about to move on to our 3rd home.... each home has been worse I  condition on purchase....

The 1st home was an apprenticeship.
The 2 home made me develop on those skills, be it repointing, or rebuilding boundary walls, minor plumbing (I won't mess with the boiler) or electrical jobs.

The 3rd home will test me to the limits.... no heating, electrics dating back to the 50s, last decorated in the 70s, unoccupied for the last 2 years. And just to make it more challenging, we now have 2 kids........

And again, even in my professional life, this mindset has served me well. I work in accounts and finance. I've had to learn how to produce reports, clearer, more reliable, faster than we could before. That has led me into Excel Macro and generally VBA coding. Again learnt on a DIY basis, and can now code some fairly advamced and complex stuff that's been make the life of people around much easier.
Learning new programming languages too these days.

Orange AD5, AD15, R30, RV50 MKI  & PPC212

Some guitars.
Some pedals.
Sometimes, I even play them.

Orange

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2019, 10:55:03 AM »
I guess Iím a bit of a jack-of-all trades as well.   During my young adult phase I also worked at a TV and stereo repair shop - fixing, well, TVs and stereos.  Actually, there were VCRs in the mix as well.  I fixed many blown solid state amplifiers during those years.   Good times!   

After graduating college I moved to the city where I started my new life.   I got into a band within a couple of years of landing, and made many friends.   

I eventually bought a house in 2010- beginning the next phase.   Home repair.   My very first job was fixing the fence that blew over during a storm during my first year in my house.   Lucky for me, my neighbor provided much guidance on rebuilding the fence.    Invaluable!   

As for coding - Iíve done quite a lot of firmware with Microchip mostly using their c compiler (and sometimes assembler).  Iíve done a fair amount of front-end and backend code for webpages - including SQL and mySQL. I like using Python (already installed on macOS!).   Recently, I took a job coding some automated test equipment (ATE) - mainly creating the user interface to control and test product.   

Oh, yeah, how can I forget this - I designed a point to point radio system using Excel for the frequency planning.  This worked extremely well.   I started off using Excelís conditional formatting and quickly moved to their built-in VBA.     I wrote the VBA to perform an exhaustive search for the best frequencies to use with the radios I was designing.   I needed to meet ETSI specifications (stringent) yet keep cost low.    The details are mind numbing at times (why we use computers).   

These days - after work - I like to focus on playing out somewhere and/or listening to new songs and chart the piece only using my own ears - that is, without looking at the internet for the answers (or perhaps not so correct answers).   Stay agile!   

Hubaxe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 01:30:46 AM »
I also dig into the house refurbishment hobby :)     We bought an old stone farm from end of the 19th century here in the french Alpes. Was a real farm, with more space for the animals than humans.
Then 3 years of intensive work, all vacations, week end, self learned plumbing, electricty, etc. Then went sick for around 2 years.
I used to build guitars and bass, and still route some wood time to time.
But now I'm fit again, I bought a motorbike after 15 years without riding, and  my hobby is to ride that motorbike as I stole it, and in parallel I'm rebuilding another one for fun.
And for sure still playing in bands, and active member of the local House Of Art (Maison de la Jeunesse et de la Culture in french) where I do all the things that I would like someone did for me as I was a teenage musician (concert, open stage, etc)

jvd1230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 12:26:50 PM »

I collect fine cigars in addition to my guitar hobby!

Login